Friday, December 19, 2014

Distance Learning Reflection


There is a current trend toward a greater societal acceptance in distance education, which seems to be tied to the increasing prevalence of enrollment in online learning (DiStasi, 2013).  Dr. Simonson discusses how distance education is starting to be expected as much as accepted, just as the evolution of the computer followed the same trend decades ago (Laureate Education, Inc., n.d.).  I see a growing positive shift toward distance learning in the future for several reasons.  Dr. Siemens highlighted, there is an increase in the online learning community across all levels of education (Laureate Education, Inc., n.d.).  As more of the public becomes part of this learning community, I envision the shift from misconception to understanding and acceptance for the value of distance education.   Another factor I think that will greatly influence the future perception of distance learning is the neo-millennial generation.  According to Van Der Warf and Sabatier (2009), these neo-millennial learners “see their educational futures built almost entirely around technology” (p. 7).  As this generation enters higher education and the workforce, there is great potential for a shift in the overall public perception on distance education to a favorable view. 

When I first entered this course, my perceptions of distance education were based solely on my personal experiences.  My perceptions have changed dramatically via the research, discourse and critical thinking that have occurred through this class.  I think the public bases much of its opinion on online learning solely on word of mouth or experience, and rarely has the opportunity to reflect on a wider view.  As an instructional designer I can be an advocate for distance learning through a sharing of my knowledge.  Dr. Siemens discusses that distance education will be impacted by contributions from experts around the world, and I think that includes advocacy (Laureate Education, Inc., n.d.).  As a K-12 teacher and instructional designer, I can advocate at the building and district level for the positive impact of online and blended learning models.  As a board member of the Alaska Society for Technology in Education, I have potential to advocate at the state level as well. 

As an instructional designer and scholar practitioner, my role includes a focus on continuous improvement for the field and myself.   Dr. Simonson discusses how there needed to be significant promotion of the computer in teaching and learning prior to acceptance into education (Laureate Education, Inc., n.d.).  I think the same goes for distance education.  I need to not just advocate for distance education, I need to demonstrate the positive impact through my expert analysis, design, development, implementation and evaluation.  Saad, Busteed, and Ogisi (2013), point out that if we want distance education to have equal status with brick and mortar institutions, than we need to do more to demonstrate high standards for instruction, assessment, and evaluation.  As an instructional designer, I can work to create powerful online courses and programs that are not just about flexibility and lower cost, but also about improved student learning outcomes.

In order to meet the needs of a changing world, distance learning will have to continue to improve and evolve.  Future learning will need to incorporate ever-changing innovations in technology and be adaptable to the global marketplace (International Association for Distance Learning, n.d.).  As a designer, I need to assure that I stay on top of my learning so I can effectively apply this to my distance learning design.  Aside from my personal practice, I need to be part of this greater collaborative effort. Additionally, as Dr. Siemens and the IADL point out, partnerships between institutions, governments and corporations will foster vast improvements in the distance learning landscape and I need to work collaboratively within these partnerships (Laureate Education, Inc., n.d., IADL, n.d.).  Dede (2005) summarizes the future of distance education and the potential for improvement and change:
We now have the technological infrastructure to facilitate a reinvention of our historic approach, as well as promising models from many other sectors of civilization that have already reinvented their missions and organizational structures based on the capabilities of information technology.  Hopefully, the changes in student learning styles from the infusion of media in our societal context will inspire us to reinvent as well” (p. 11). 
As a future instructional designer, I see imagine myself as part of this reinvention and sustained effort for a powerful and productive distance learning environment. 


References:.
Dede, C. (2005). Planning for neomillennial learning styles. Educause Quarterly, 28(1), 7–12.  Retrieved from https://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/eqm0511.pdf

DiStaci, C. (2013, March 6).  On opinions of online education: hit “refresh” [Web log post].  Retrieved from http://www.publicagenda.org/blogs/on-opinions-of-online-education-hit-refresh

Laureate Education (Producer). (n.d.). Distance education: The next generation [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu

Laureate Education (Producer). (n.d.). The future of distance education [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu

Saad, L., Busteed, B., & Ogisi, M. (2013).  In U.S., online education rated best for value and options.  Retrieved from http://www.gallup.com/poll/165425/online-education-rated-best-value-options.aspx

Van Der Werf, M., & Sabatier, G. (2009).  The college of 2020: students.  The Chronicle of Higher Education Inc., Washington, DC.  Retrieved from http://www.uwec.edu/CETL/bundles/upload/college2020-dl.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment